Learning how to manage money is an essential life lesson that should be part of every student’s education. TCU’s Student Rewards Checking is a great way for teens and young adults to start building their personal financial foundation by offering the features of a regular checking account — and cash rewards as they manage their funds.
Now students can earn cash bonuses even faster, by completing only six of TCU’s 18 Financial Empowerment Program modules!
In the first year, students can earn:
- $25 when completing a third of TCU’s Financial Empowerment Program — through a participating school or independently online. The program offers basic lessons in managing money that provide a foundation for a lifetime of sound financial habits. Bring a certificate of completion/program transcript with a score of 70 percent or higher to any TCU service center to receive the bonus.
- $10 by using the TCU Mobile App, enrolling in online banking and registering for eStatements and Round-Up Savings.
- Plus, participants receive $10 each year that they don’t overdraw their account.
And there are other benefits to opening a TCU Student Rewards Checking account:
- Electronic deposits – Have your paycheck or tax refund directly deposited into your account.
- Debit cards – TCU Student Rewards Checking comes with a debit card, which is accepted like a credit card but draws from the money in your account. This is especially beneficial for young people who don’t yet qualify for a credit card but still want the convenience of cashless transactions. You can also use your debit card to withdraw cash, make ATM deposits and use your phone as a mobile wallet with familiar companies like Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay.
- Online bill pay – Setting up online payments makes the process of paying bills more convenient and the speed of payments can help avoid late fees.
- Mobile banking – TCU’s app lets you do a lot of your banking from your phone: pay bills, track your purchases, transfer funds, view eStatements, and sign up for alerts to stay informed about account activity.
- It keeps your money safe – Your checking account deposits are insured by National Credit Union Administration, or NCUA, up to at least $250,000 per individual depositor. That’s much safer than stashing cash in a sock drawer.
Heading off to college?
During the transition from high school to college, financial responsibility becomes increasingly important — and opening a checking account before the big move can make life a little easier. A checking account with a debit card lets students quickly and conveniently pay for purchases almost anywhere.
TCU members can also bank at more than 5,000 credit unions across the country through the CO-OP Shared Branch network — and get cash from more than 700 zero-fee ATMs in Indiana and Michigan (and thousands of reduced-fee ATMs nationwide).
When well-managed, TCU’s Student Reward Checking account helps create a good financial foundation for life.
Sign up for Student Rewards Checking today online or at one of our nearly 60 locations.
To apply online, you must be 18+ years old. Students under 18 must apply online with a parent/legal guardian by scheduling an appointment with TCU Member Services at (800) 552-4745.