Learning how to manage money is an essential life lesson that should be part of every student’s education. TCU’s Student Rewards Checking is a great way for teens and young adults to start building their personal financial foundation by offering the features of a regular checking account — plus the bonus of cash rewards for managing money responsibly.
In the first year, students can earn:
$25 when completing TCU’s Financial Empowerment Program — through a participating school or independently online. The program offers basic lessons in managing money that provide a foundation for a lifetime of sound financial habits.
$10 by using the TCU Mobile App, enrolling in online banking and registering for eStatements and Everyday Savings. Plus, participants receive $10 each year that they don’t overdraw their account.
And there are other benefits to opening a TCU Student Rewards Checking account:
- Electronic deposits – Have your paycheck or tax refund directly deposited into your account.
- Debit cards – TCU Student Rewards Checking comes with a debit card, which is accepted like a credit card but draws from the money in your account. This is especially beneficial for young people who don’t yet qualify for a credit card but still want the convenience of cashless transactions. You can also use your debit card to withdraw cash, make ATM deposits and use your phone as a mobile wallet with familiar companies like Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay.
- Online bill pay - Setting up online payments makes the process of paying bills more convenient and the speed of payments can help avoid late fees.
- Mobile banking – TCU’s app lets you do a lot of your banking from your phone: pay bills, track your purchases, transfer funds, view eStatements, and sign up for alerts to stay informed about account activity.
- It keeps your money safe – Your checking account deposits are insured by National Credit Union Administration, or NCUA, up to at least $250,000 per individual depositor. That’s much safer than stashing cash in a sock drawer.
If you’re between 14-23 years and have a Social Security number, you can open a Student Rewards Checking account by visiting your nearest TCU service center.
Primary member must be 14 to 23 years of age to qualify for the Student Rewards Checking Account and receive rewards. If you are under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must be on the membership and account. Only one Student Rewards Checking per membership. All rewards will be deposited into the Student Rewards Checking Account. $25 TCU Financial Empowerment Program Reward — To receive the one-time reward, receive a passing score on each module/course and present your program/course completion certificate to a TCU Service Center. $10 TCU No Overdraft Reward — To receive reward, you must not have incurred an overdraft on your account for a period of 12 consecutive months beginning with the account opening date each year.