Learning how to manage money is an essential life lesson that should be part of every student’s education. TCU’s Student Rewards Checking is a great way for teens and young adults to start building their personal financial foundation by offering the features of a regular checking account — and cash rewards as they manage their funds.
In the first year, students can earn:
$25 when completing TCU’s Financial Empowerment Program — through a participating school or independently online. The program offers basic lessons in managing money that provide a foundation for a lifetime of sound financial habits.
$10 by using the TCU Mobile App, enrolling in online banking and registering for eStatements and Everyday Savings.
Plus, participants receive $10 each year that they don’t overdraw their account.
And there are other benefits to opening a TCU Student Rewards Checking account:
- Electronic deposits – Have your paycheck or tax refund directly deposited into your account.
- Debit cards – TCU Student Rewards Checking comes with a debit card, which is accepted like a credit card but draws from the money in your account. This is especially beneficial for young people who don’t yet qualify for a credit card but still want the convenience of cashless transactions. You can also use your debit card to withdraw cash, make ATM deposits and use your phone as a mobile wallet with familiar companies like Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay.
- Online bill pay - Setting up online payments makes the process of paying bills more convenient and the speed of payments can help avoid late fees.
- Mobile banking – TCU’s app lets you do a lot of your banking from your phone: pay bills, track your purchases, transfer funds, view eStatements, and sign up for alerts to stay informed about account activity.
- It keeps your money safe – Your checking account deposits are insured by National Credit Union Administration, or NCUA, up to at least $250,000 per individual depositor. That’s much safer than stashing cash in a sock drawer.
Heading off to college?
During the transition from high school to college, financial responsibility becomes increasingly important — and opening a checking account before the big move can make life a little easier. A checking account with a debit card lets students quickly and conveniently pay for purchases almost anywhere.
TCU members can also bank at more than 5,000 credit unions across the country through the CO-OP Shared Branch network — and get cash from more than 700 zero-fee ATMs in Indiana and Michigan (and thousands of reduced-fee ATMs nationwide).
When well-managed, TCU’s Student Reward Checking account helps create a good financial foundation for life.
Sign up for Student Rewards Checking today online or at one of our 54 locations.
To apply online, you must be 18+ years old. Students under 18 must apply with a parent/legal guardian by scheduling an appointment with TCU Member Services at (800) 552-4745.
Primary member must be 14 to 23 years of age to qualify for the Student Rewards Checking Account and receive rewards. If you are under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must be on the membership and account. Only one Student Rewards Checking per membership. All rewards will be deposited into the Student Rewards Checking Account. $25 TCU Financial Empowerment Program Reward — To receive the one-time reward, receive a passing score on each module/course and present your program/course completion certificate to a TCU Service Center. $10 TCU No Overdraft Reward — To receive reward, you must not have incurred an overdraft on your account for a period of 12 consecutive months beginning with the account opening date each year.